A look at Loftinland...

My photo
Life as we know it in seconds, minutes, hours, and every day of the year, with always an ANGEL watching over us.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I've been lazy in loftinland!

Most of the time I like being a bit lazy as a reward for long walks with the dogs, giving loftinland a good cleaning, working in the yard/garden, or just lazy for the sake of being lazy especially on the last few rainy days we've had! But the point I want to make is I've been lazy being who I want to be!

It is the animal lover in me that just cannot stand to eat an animal that has been killed for the purpose of keeping me alive, when there are so many other "much better" choices for my dinner plate! I have been a vegetarian for over ten years, I think I was around forty when I gave myself permission to be who I wanted to be. Growing up I ate what was put on my plate, and continued with those same meals for my family when I became a wife and mother. It wasn't until I picked up a copy of John Robbin's http://www.johnrobbins.info/ "Diet For a New America", that I wanted to live the lifestyle and eat the way this book suggested. It didn't take me long to read all of his books, plus numerous others on the subject, and collect LOTS of vegetarian recipe books and vegetarian "help" books.

However, in the last year or so, I have become lazy at living the true vegetarian way....I have eaten shrimp and fish...since I would make that for my husband in place of meat. Not a lot of fish but enough that it bothered me. Then just last week I watched "Earthlings", narrated by Joaquin Phoenix, a lifelong vegan. Watching it made me physically and emotionally ill, I made myself watch the whole thing because I never ever want to eat anything or wear anything made from animals, land based or in the ocean. No cheese, or eggs as well. No makeup that was tested on animals, period....period...period...I am pretty good at researching personal care products and ONLY buy those that an animal did not have to suffer. This documentary film covered much more than just food/diet. It also talked about all kinds of animal suffering and "my" part in it....which I am going to try to the best of my ability to not take part in knowingly or unknowingly. I hope that if you have not seen this film you will watch it, it will break your heart but it will open your eyes and may just change you. One thing that I have been lazy about is....not telling others about my choices and letting others answer for me...I have a fear of them thinking I am trying to push a lifestyle on them, or thinking that I think am better because I do this...or mostly just not being able to explain intellectually why I believe a vegan lifestyle is the best. I think I'll start speaking up though, if it is only on an emotional level, I can direct them to books I've read or films I've watched "if" and "only if" they really want the answers to the questions they are asking me...

My daughter, who also instigated me to be a vegetarian when she was in college over a decade ago, has also began the journey of being a vegan with me. It helps tremendously when you have support from family and friends, she fits into both those categories.....her blog can be found at: http://www.humblepantry.blogspot.com/ - I think you'll enjoy the flavor of her posts, a fresh and beautiful (just like her) read!
Earthlings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce4DJh-L7Ys

No comments:

Post a Comment